Monday, March 2, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: #52 What to Read

1. I searched for a read-alike that is comparable with one of my favorite authors, Sophie Kinsella. On NoveList Plus, I found several authors, including Helen Fielding, Jane Green, and Marian Keyes. I couldn't find a listing for Sophie Kinsella on Fiction_L Booklists. On Library Booklists and Bibliographies, I did not find any listings by author, but there were several lists of recommendations in the "Chick Lit" genre that would compare with Kinsella.

2. Using NoveList Plus, I found two books suitable for a fourth grade girl interested in animals, The Good Dog by Avi and Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. I also found two books for a thirteen year old boy who is interested in ghost stories, The Ghost Hunt Series by Shiho Inada and All the Lovely Bad Ones: A Ghost Story by Mary Downing Hahn.

3. For the customer who likes Dean Koontz, I used NoveList Plus, and found these authors to recommend to him: Greg Bear, Dan Simmons, and Charles Grant. It was too difficult, in my opinion, to navigate any of the other sites when searching by author.

4. For the customer who read Alanna: the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce, and wants to continue the series, I used the What's Next database, and found the rest of the books in the "Song of the Lioness quartet": In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman who Rides Like a Man, and Lioness Rampant.

No comments: