Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Searching #75: Google and Beyond

1. I searched for dobermans, knitting, and penguins in Blindsearch. With my first search (dobermans), Yahoo gave me the best result. My second search (knitting) also got the best result from Yahoo. My third search (penguins) got the best results from Google.
I usually use Google for searching, but after trying this and seeing how Yahoo compared, I will consider using Yahoo for my searches more often.

2. Google was the top search engine on Hitwise when I checked (with an astounding 72.25%), followed by Yahoo at 14.83%. This did not really surprise me, as most people I know only use Google, and even refer to searching online as "Google-ing".

3. After seeing the results from Yahoo on Blindsearch, I decided to check out what other search features they offer. I like that you can save links to previous sites, and take notes on your findings. I also like the feature of having links such as Wikipedia or Amazon automatically available on the left sidebar if any information on those sites relate to your search. That is very convenient for me.

No comments: